Monday, March 22, 2010

Aint Nothin But a Hound Dog

Woke up to a pile of crap that could only belong to Ruby. I did what the books all tell you to do, grabbed Ruby, stuck her face in it and said NO several times. Maybe it was because she was only half awake, but it was as if Ruby didn't care at all. My yelling and shoving her face in her mess did nothing to her. Normally a dog would be afraid or scared, Ruby just sat there and took it.

Before heading to work I gave Ruby half a can of wet food, she ate it all. It's good that she's beginning to eat, I am becoming impatient for Ruby to gain weight and fill out.

Jackie and I were wondering how week two would go since Ruby got a taste of us being around for the whole weekend. When I came home I got my answer. She could barely contain herself. As I was trying to take down the gate she was pushing as well, trying to get to me. She wanted to play, but I always try to take the dogs out before anything else. While we were outside Ruby kept jumping up on me and howling with excitement. *As a side note, the shelter labeled Ruby as a mix of a Lab and a German Shepard. I never believed the Shepard, but with all this howling and whining I think she is mixed with a hound dog* The whole walk Ruby was nothing but thrilled to see me. It was nice to come home to a kitchen that hadn't been destroyed by a distraught dog. It was even better that the dog was so eager to see me that she was pushing her way through the gate.

After the walk and a decent amount of play time, I tried feeding Ruby. 1/2 cup of Nutro kibble and 1/2 a pouch of Mixables. Ruby ate everything that had Mixable gravy on it, she left the rest. As did Zoey when I gave her a chance to eat the left overs. Either way, I did not have to stick my hands in dog food which was a wonderful change of pace.

I wanted to try something today. Ruby was sitting at my feet, Zoey and I on the couch. I began petting Zoey to see how Ruby would respond. As soon as Zoey started grunting (like she always does when someone pets her) Ruby's ears perked up. She jumped on the couch and practically laid on Zoey. It was not until I stopped petting her that Zoey snaked her way out from under Ruby. Zoey fell to the floor where Ruby had been sitting. Clearly Zoey hasn't accepted Ruby as a cuddle-buddy, much in the same way that Ruby hasn't figured out how to share the attention.

Jackie and I have trained Zoey to wait on the couch for attention whenever we got home, making it easier for us to get settled and then say hello to Zoe. Ruby hasn't caught on to this yet and I don't know if she will. Most entertaining was Jackie and Zoe playing when she got home. Zoey runs from one side of the apartment to the other as Jackie eggs her on. With Ruby here things are the same, but Zoe is followed closely by Ruby when she runs all over the apartment. Ruby has not yet figured out how to engage in play, but it is cute to watch Ruby try to involve herself in Jackie and Zoey's playtime.

Today Zoey and Ruby played together, however short it was. Zoey has neither the stamina or the stride that Ruby has, so "playing" was more like Zoey going insane running through the apartment while Ruby trotted after her. Reminiscent of any first sexual experience, it began just as quickly and abruptly as it ended, Zoey was exhausted while Ruby was left wanting more.

Dinner was the same as her snack when I got home, 1/2 cup of Nutro and the rest of the Mixables pouch. Five minutes after Ruby was finished eating, she found the rest of Zoey's food, and ate it, out of a bowl! We have been feeding Ruby off of a plate recently, but this is a huge step. Ruby wanted more food than we gave her, and took it from Zoey's food bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment