Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vomit Storm 2010

2am, woke up to Ruby coughing. Might be kennel cough, or the ridiculous amount of food she ate the night before.

7am, it's not coughing. Ruby had been throwing up little bits of what I can only assume to be food and bile. In the 4 minutes from when I got out of bed to when the dogs were taken outside Ruby had coughed up this mix of food and bile 4 times. I have no idea how bad this was through the night. I was just thankful that we were going to see the vet later that day and hopefully they would be able to shed some light on this situation.

After days of Zoey trying to ignore Ruby, they laid together in "Zoey's corner" before I headed off to work. Perhaps Zoey knew that Ruby was hurting, so she let it slide.

I came home to vomit all around Ruby's bed in the kitchen. Whole food kibbles soaked in bile on the floor. What's worse, whenever Ruby got excited it only intensified the amount of vomiting. In the minute it took for me to get her outside she threw up all over her bed, and again in the living room before making it outside. She does not throw up outside. I spent all afternoon before the vet doing laundry to try and stay ahead of Ruby's vomit storm. It's times like these when I wish we had a washer/dryer in our apartment.

Vet's annoy me. Jackie knew before going there what the problem was. It took an hour and 2 people to determine the same thing, Ruby more than likely has kennel cough. And just to add to that fun, Zoey probably has it too. Zoey has thrown up several times in the past 4 days since we got Ruby. Granted it's not as bad as what Ruby went through today, but who knows. It took $50 for the vet to pinch Zoey several times, look at her eyes and in her ears and tell us that she may be getting sick in the next week or so, but we'd have to come back and pay for another vet visit once she start throwing up her intestines to get any medication for her. Ruby was weighed in at 30lbs, she'd lost 5lbs since she was given her health evaluation at the shelter about a week ago.

Dinner was 1/3 cup Nutro, Chicken breast and water. The Nutri-Cal we bought to help supplement her vitamins were useless, Ruby won't eat it. Even Zoey doesn't want anything to do with the paste... it has to be bad. Jackie confirmed that it tasted bad, but could not pin-point what it tasted like.

When it was time for me to go to bed, I couldn't go to sleep. Ruby had a hard time settling in, she kept coughing and having trouble breathing, almost a wheezing, with a stuffy nose.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, sounds like it's really fun to be in your apartment right now. I bet that place stinks like crazy.

    Anyway, sorry Zoe and Ruby are sick. I hope they get better soon (and stop puking all over your stuff).

    ReplyDelete