Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rude Awakening

Today started at 2:50am when shrills of whining traveled through the apartment and pierced through the bedroom door. Bolting up, not know what was going on, I raced toward the kitchen. When I opened the bedroom door I found Ruby with both front legs over the gate trying to catch a glimpse of where everyone else was hanging out. Still unsure if that was all the whining was about, I opened the gate to investigate. Normally I would jump over the gate but at 3am that idea didn't pass through my brain. Once the gate was open, before I knew what had happened, Ruby made a B line to the bedroom and ran to the far side of the bed where Jackie was (now awake).

Before last night the bedroom was somewhere Ruby had not been, and we weren't planning on letting her go. It was Zoey's sanctuary from the new member of the family. Zoey was used to getting kicked around by us through the night as she always found a comfy spot on or next to our feet, but this was different. When Zoey saw Ruby running to Jackie's side of the bed she began to growl. Zoey is a 7lb Chihuahua that is attempting to defend her sanctuary against a lonely, attention starved 35lb dog. Ruby managed to jump onto the bed, miraculously not ripping her stitches from the spay surgery. At this point she did not lay down and go to sleep like we had hoped. She was vigorously wagging her tail, hitting both Jackie and I in the face. Jackie worked hard to force Ruby to lay down, which she eventually achieved, but not until she was on our pillows. Ruby was laying sideways on a Queen bed, forcing Jackie and I to hug the edges of the bed. Zoey found refuge between the edge of the bed and myself, though when I woke up she had worked her way under the blankets back to her normal spot at our feet. It was an adjustment night for everyone. I was able to go back to sleep sandwiched between 40 lbs of dog, but it took Jackie 1 difficult repositioning of Ruby (making her sleep longways) and about 30 minutes to settle back in.

At this point I am wondering how Ruby will do with both of us being gone for work. I am hoping since she saw us leave she will understand no one is there to hear her whines. If I am being naive, I do not know but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment