Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hand-fed Dog, Well Socialized?

Woke up at 2am to Jackie trying to reposition Ruby to be more on a blanket in case she threw up. I have no idea why we're always waking up around 2am for these things. It's kind of weird, maybe Ruby has a clock set in her and everything happens at that time. Or it's right in the middle of the night and she just wants to make sure we're still alive.

Before leaving for the day, in an attempt to fatten Ruby up I gave her 1/2 cup of Nutro and 1/4 can of wet food. When I came home she had eaten 1/3 of the wet food and virtually none of the dry food. How can we fatten this dog up? She keeps losing weight and does not want to eat. On the brighter side of things, there was no vomit when I came home from work. So at least what little food Ruby is eating is staying down.

Dinner was a cup of Nutro and a chicken breast covered in chicken water. Ruby was hesitant to eat even the chicken breast, though she did eat the whole chicken eventually the kibble remained untouched for the most part. I was able to hand feed Ruby the Nutro Kibble. That's correct, I scooped food out of the bowl, with my hand, and put it up to Ruby's mouth at which point she ate it out of my palm (I realize the picture of Jackie hand feeding Ruby, it's the only picture of this happening that I have). I was able to get her to eat 2/3 cup of Nurto food soaked in the water we boiled the chicken breast in. Ironically, birds that are hand-fed are sought after for their socialization, while dogs that are hand-fed are annoying because they lack socialization. Other than the obvious question of, why is the only way to get this dog to eat is by hand feeding it, our wallets are beginning to wonder at what point should we stop feeding Ruby chicken? When am I going to stop taking so much pity on this dog and end the hand-feeding stage?

Before going to bed we took the dogs for the final walk of the night. As we circled the apartment building. Ruby perked up, seeing someone else about 50 yards away walking their dog and barked for the first time. When we shushed her she started barking under her breath, muted barks. Not sure how I feel about this because she barks loud for a skinny dog. Quiet is good but it was nice to hear her vocalize for once. She's slowly coming out of her shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment